British supermarket Morrisons says it is increasing its bonus payouts this year threefold as a “thank you” to its colleagues for their efforts during the coronovirus pandemic.
Morrisons says its annual colleague bonus is an increase that will last for the next 12 months. Because it will be a percentage of the entire year’s pay, frontline workers will see the largest special bonus of those announced over the past few weeks in the sector.
“Our highly valued colleagues have stood tall amidst the coronavirus pandemic, playing their full part in feeding the nation,” Clare Grainger, Group People Director said. “We want to thank every single one of them for their continued hard work during these unprecedented times by paying a much higher guaranteed bonus for the whole year in recognition of their effort.”
The new changes to the current bonus scheme break down as follows, according to Morrisons:
- All frontline colleagues will receive a 6% bonus on their earnings for the next 12 months rather than just the next 8-12 weeks
- The changes represent a bonus payment of £1,050 for a full-time frontline colleague compared to the £351 that would have been paid last year
- The bonus will be guaranteed in recognition of the effort made by very hard working colleagues
- It will be paid quarterly so colleagues don’t have to wait until next year to be paid
- The bonus will continue to be paid as a percentage of actual earnings as per previous years
- Colleagues who are off sick or are self-isolating will remain eligible
- Both permanent and temporary colleagues will be eligible in recognition of the thousands of new colleagues who have joined Morrisons in recent week.
The retailer also has included frontline salaried managers, who will be guaranteed to receive a bonus that will be twice their maximum yearly amount in a normal year.